I want to share with you a very simple, DIY headboard project that my husband & I did together to celebrate the warm weather & sunshine.
We started by gathering a total of 6 pieces of wood from Home Depot. We used 5 longer boards for the actual visible part of the headboard that each measured 8' x 1&3/4". Our bed is a king & measures 76" in length. We realized that the headboard would be about 10" longer than the bed on each side, but wanted this grand, over-scaled look. The hope is to one day put lighting or hang plants on each side of the bed, utilizing the extra length & space of the headboard. We also purchased a 108" thicker piece of wood that we cut in half to use as the support/legs of the headboard.
Next we cleaned & stained all the wood using a Polyurethane stain in Espresso. We gave the wood 2 coats of stain & 2 coats of a clear Polyurethane finish, letting each coat dry for at least 2 hours in a well ventilated area (outside). With the finished sides facing down we put the 5 boards together vertically on a clean surface & measured in 24" from both ends. We then positioned the legs horizontally on the back of the headboard at the 24" mark. Each leg, which acted as a brace, got 5 long wood screws screwed in directly over the center of each of the vertical boards. That was it. We let the piece dry outside overnight & then excitedly put it behind our bed. The final look is rustic chic & we love it. I painted a whimsical field of flowers on a large canvas & hung that above the bed.
To complete the look I threw a variety of fun, colorful pillows on the bed.
Everyone in the McDonald house seems to be enjoying the new space! It was such a fun, simple project which has inspired us to try making a coffee table next. Stay tuned...